Friday 27 September 2013

Would you shave everything off?


Image Source: Google
 
As an African girl, I had grown up knowing and desiring what entailed beauty in the African Ghanaian context. Neck rings, gap tooth, hairy legs and curvy calves were some of the features that made any woman be considered as beautiful in Africa Ghana. Thankfully, due to genes I was blessed with very curvy calves and hairy legs. I got a lot of compliments on how beautiful my legs were, and that coupled with the soft hair was enough to get people staring admiringly anytime I wore clothes above my knee.


Now being in America, I realized that most girls had very smooth legs. I used to think they were just not hairy enough until commercials of leg shaving products taught me otherwise. I still didn't give much thoughts to shaving because I loved my hairy legs. One day I received a phone call from my dear friend in Ghana. As we were talking about life in America, she asked me if I had shaved my legs. I replied that I didn't feel any need to, and she in turn narrated her experience with having hairy legs when she went to London for a visit. Now this friend of mine is twice as hairy as I am. She said there was one time she was wearing shorts and people kept staring at her hairy legs and thighs. She said she heard one particular girl pass a comment about her hairiness to her group of friends. My friend felt so uncomfortable that she went to the store to buy shaving materials immediately after.

For some reason, right after her call, I started feeling self conscious about my own hairiness. As I was walking around I started to follow people's eyes to see if they were staring at my legs but I didn't notice anything different.

I was however curious to try shaving, just to experience it. You know back home, there was this myth that if you shaved the hair on your body(apart from the obvious parts), the hair would grow back faster, thicker and darker than before. I also remember I was told by my uncle as a child, that the hair on our legs was God given, and that if you shaved it, God would be angry with you. Well, I decided to throw all caution to the wind, and give shaving a try.

Wow, I had never felt my legs so smooth and soft. I couldn't stop rubbing my hands over my legs, as it felt as soft as a babies skin. I loved it! Why had I been depriving myself of such a wonderful feeling?

Anyway, after some time the initial excitement waned off, and eventually the hair began to grow back. I don't know if it was my imagination, but the new hair didn't feel as soft as the first. I don't know if the shaving of my legs would be a routine, but I just know that I had an open mind towards it. For my first time trying,
 I didn't do it very well, because I used razor blades and I didn't know I had to use some form of lotion to soften my skin, so I ended getting a lot of cuts from the razor.

What are the features that makes one beautiful in your country? To the ladies, have you ever shaved your legs because you moved abroad? How did the first time feel? To the men, what do you prefer on a woman, hairy legs or smooth hairless legs.

Let's Discuss!!

13 comments:

  1. No, never shaved because am not blessed with so much hair. I wish for my eyebrows to be darker and thicker than looking so bald. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg u need to shave at least every two weeks hairy leg is just ugly ugly ugly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shave whenever I can n it feels sooo good. I usually use a shaving stick or my sis mini clipper. And rubbing ur hands over shaved legs is so lovely. N it also mks u feel good inside

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is dis u in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girls! They're always up to something ridiculous...aint they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shave everytime I take a bath. My hairs grow daily and becomes stubby and sharp. I can't stand hairy legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dnt have much hair on my legs,so am cool with the way it is.bt I heard once u shave ur hairy legs u ll keep shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have hairy legs too, which I dnt like at all I finally shaved and started having black spots on my legs...so annoying....arrrrgh

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me it was in undergrad and the guy i was dating remarked on my unshaven legs lol. I used to shave with Nair cream, but I have discovered the painful pleasure of waxing. It is painful but not unbearable and the results last a couple of weeks and hair grows back slower and finer, and most importantly for a fairer skinned chick like me, no unsightly dark armpits or razor bumps. Let that be your next experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I 1st met my girlfriend, she was fairly lazy when it came to keeping herself soft and clean and smooth. I found a site on the internet and bought her a " Red Fusion" shaver.
    No disposable blades anymore and the cuts and knicks that go along with them. This one is rechargeable and guaranteed. Now my love is silky and smooth and she just like the convenience of this type of razor. www.hairerazor.com
    Best!

    ReplyDelete