Sunday 29 September 2013

The new 'Au Naturel' me

Picture Source: Google
Ever since I moved to the US, I realized that my appreciation for natural products has really increased. Maybe its because I am bombarded with all kinds of processed products so anything natural is a breath of fresh air.
Before coming here, I was looking forward to using all kinds of perceived luxury products which were otherwise,more expensive in Ghana. I couldn't wait to try the famous 'Makari', which is a body cream well known for its toning effects.
 After using some of these products for sometime, with no visible improvements whatsoever, I came to the conclusion that most of these products was just a mixture of laboratory produced chemicals, and so began my long for products made with natural ingredients.
I also started to pay more attention to the kind of food I ate, with the intention of limiting processed food. Thanks to reading all kinds of blog, I was learning how to take care of myself in order to still look good in later years. The first action I took, in the process of my of my 'au naturel' lifestyle started off with me cutting off my permed hair.

I was totally convinced after a lot of reading, that the African natural kinky hair was the most healthiest form we could carry our hair. And it didn't help that there was a sudden wave of African ladies rocking their natural hair. One of the reasons I also cut my hair was because I couldn't get any decent African hair salon in Portland. The ends of my hair was already breaking and thinning, so it was pretty easy to give in to the natural hair idea.

Secondly, I decided to cut down on my intake of junk food. It is still very hard because I have a terrible, terrible sweet tooth. I am one of those people who go to the store to buy books but end up with a packet of sweets alongside. Nevertheless, I cook a lot of traditional African food at home, and I have also  developed a healthy relationship with fruits and salads.

I have also realized that what we put on our body is as important as what we put inside. As most of you would know, I am a strong advocator for cocoa butter. I was very skeptical about it, because I didn't want any cream that would darken my color. Not only did it maintain it, but it moisturized and gave my skin a natural glow. Pure natural shea butter has been recommended to me as the wonder body cream, and I would surely give it a try very soon.

Lastly, I just started using the African Black Soap. It is popularly known as 'alata samina' in Ghana. I remember our mothers using that as a kid, but with time most people diverted to using all kinds of westernized beauty soap bars. It is quite expensive over here in America, but like all 'organic' products, I would just have to keep remembering the benefits when buying.

I don't know if my change to natural products would have any glaringly effects on me, but I just feel good using them, knowing that I am feeding my body with only the healthiest.(Or is it?)

10 comments:

  1. The weather is harsh to our permed hair. So many split ends and breakage, no matter the treatment used. This is one of the major reasons, women began to embrace their natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wud never cut my hair

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm towing this part too.Transitioning to all natural products esp food.Its sooo hard but it will be worth it when I eventually succeed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dnt think I can stop eating junk in as much as i hv diabetes in my family I try but I always fail woefully. As for my hair I can't kip natural hair cos I have this feeling that it smells then I use black soap to bath and also use shea butter n coconut oil in my hair. Dacandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer all things "natural". If I knew what I know now, I would never have relaxed my hair. I'm currently 10 months post relaxer and I can't wait till I'm all natural. Natural hair is so versatile. I even make my own shampoo and conditioner from scratch. I think you should give shea butter a try. Girl, what are you waiting for? it's cheaper, chemical free and good for your hair, skin and nails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am i going to dilute shea butter with something to put away the smell and during cold weather it becomes solid some how. Help pls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been post relaxer since the last time I applied relaxer for more than a year and half. I've been keeping my natural hair till I was ready to apply another relaxer till two weeks ago when I felt the need to be natural.

    I enjoy washing my natural hair and conditioning it compared to my relaxed hair and I don't need to do so much to maintain it.

    I used to think natural hair couldn't form curls(I love curls) till I googled about it and was proved otherwise. Also I can decide to straighten it when I feel like it.
    Natural all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hair is very long and full so can't imagine going natural with my too full hair..will be too stressfull for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever rocks your boat..me says

    ReplyDelete
  10. since i came to Europe, my once beautiful African hair has gone with their very bad weather and i stumbled into a community that show that our own type of hair can also thrive and grow well especially wen given the right kind of treatment. so i decided to start up a small blog so as to document my hair progress. so pls my beautiful african sisters vist ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com so together we can debunk these myth that say our hair cant grow long.

    ReplyDelete