Wednesday 4 September 2013

Concret Jungle where dreams are made of!! Part 3

Ok so I gotta stop this whole part 1-3.  I feel like a nollywood movie producer.
I just couldn't  keep my head at one position during the cap ride. I wanted to soak in all the sights of new York; my dream city. The drive from the airport took us through Queens( or so as said by the Driver). The look of disappointment on my face was so profound. I kept asking my Husband, so is this the New York? He kept assuring me that downtown New York was much better but I still couldn't get past the thought that this was all yankee had to offer.

All I saw were tiny houses in scruffy looking neighborhoods, overgrown lawns and periodic waste by the roadside. Midway through our ride I just gave up and shut my eyes. I guess my body was finally giving in.
After about 30 minutes my husband woke me up that we had arrived at our hotel. I liked what I saw. Tall buildings, bright lights, yellow cabs, just like what I see on TV. I just said to myself, 'this is the abroad'. We were in Times Square, Manhatten, and I had never felt so ecstatic in my life. The level of energy in that city was over the top, everything was just moving fast.
I felt so happy inside me and as cliché as it may sound, I felt like I could achieve any dream in this city. I went to my hotel room and slept for about 2 hours.
Later my Husband and I decided to go for a walk, and as I didn't have any warm clothes we had to go shopping for a jacket and a pair of boots. I loved New York even more walking around, It was like a free world, and I had never felt care-free as I felt walking around the streets of New York.
Very soon I started seeing white smallish flakes fall from the skies, OMG, Snow!!!!
As an African who had only been accustomed to the hot tropical weather, you can imagine my excitement as I experienced snow for the first time. All I wanted to do was to catch one and touch it so I would know how it felt like. But Alas, we had to head back to the hotel because it was getting colder, and well I was quite tired.
The following day as I woke up from my hotel room, I opened the curtains and I could see all of NY. even as early as 6 am you could see the city was very much awake, or did it ever sleep? The view was very inspiring. I made a mental note to myself about how I had to do everything possible to achieve my dreams. NY does that a lot to people, especially first timers. 
My flight to Portland, Oregon was schedule for 4 30 pm so I knew I had a little more time to take in the city

18 comments:

  1. lovely..cant wait to read more!

    ive been dreaming of visiting new york as an adult for the longest time. First time i was there i was 12 years old and didnt get to see or experience much!

    hope u will be posting some pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! you should try making solid plans to come again. Unfortunately I dint take much pictures but I will definitely add pictures to my subsequent posts about life in America

      Delete
  2. Snow.... welcome to the US. good luck blogging. You adds worked, it brought me here to your site. Now make it more interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow.... welcome to the US. good luck blogging. You adds worked, it brought me here to your site. Now make it more interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I finally found your blog, from WC. So far I like what I've read. I'll now take time to read your other posts. You're living the American dream honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys so much. I just started blogging yesterday. I am so excited to share this journey with you guys and I would like to make it as interactive as possible. Feel free to drop your comments anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting...u had my attention all thru the pieces...that got u didn't get a Kyeiwaa...i saw ur add on GC....u have started nicely....well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting!!! I saw your add on WC blog,i want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waiting for more posts..yippie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making a mental pic of myself while I was reading. Lovely blog.mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..that was exactly the aim of my wrting

      Delete
  10. Wow nice blog,couldn't stop reading.am also coming to US in a month time.yaay!!!though going to Minnesota bt landing to newyork first to connect the local flight.thanks for this blog I really nid it as a first timer to America .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cdive, thanks so much for taking time out to read my blog. I would also be visiting Minnesota in October for a seminar. Could it be a coincidence? you should definitely pass through New York and spend a day or two.

      Delete