Wednesday 9 October 2013

Why do we have unsuccessfull marriages?


Stroke his ego,  don’t ever deny him sex, keep the house clean, look good all the time, forgive him when he cheats, have male children for him. The list goes on. Just last week I was going through my newsfeed on Facebook when I saw a status update from a friend of mine which read something like this:


“Hi Guys,Have you ever wondered why marriages in the past lasted more than marriages in this generation? Our mothers treated marriage differently and I would recommend this book : Fascinating womanhood to guys. You can download it from this link. I read it and I have learnt so many things about being a good wife”…

I rolled my eyes at the yet again societal thought train that a failed marriage is solely attributed to women. That the only gender that has to read and be educated on a supposed manual for married life is women. Following the comments, I was not surprised to find that, there were a lot of women who in their quest to be the perfect wife had downloaded and read the book light years ago. Now what surprised me ,was that most of the people who had read the book were single young women.

I didn’t download the book, however I sat down to ask myself why truly marriages in the past lasted more than present day marriages. I do not have any concrete evidence to back me up, but I do believe divorce rates are significantly higher than say 20 years ago.

I really wanted to understand the underlying factors that accounted for this social phenomenon. So  I started to recollect how life was, back in the day when I was a little girl. Mind you, I am only in my early 20s, and as relatively young as I may be, I find that society has gone through incredible social and cultural changes. To confirm this, just compare 2001 to today. I remembered that as a child, the number one social champagne was to ‘send your girl child to school’.TV, Radio and Print media were filled with feminists and International agencies educating and persuading our society that the girl child was not a lesser being as was previously thought.  

Apparently back then, girls were brought up for one sole purpose only: to have a dignified place in the kitchen. I remember how in a lot of families, it was only the boy child that was given a chance at education. The girls remained at home to help their mothers with their craft, whatever that would be.

Now using the conditions in my childhood as a point of comparison, I decided to imagine how things were, when our parents were growing up. That would be say 20-35 years before our  ‘send your girl child to school’ campaign started. I resolved, from a few articles and my own intuition that in the 60s, a woman was brought up to be totally dependent on a man. She was taught how to cook, clean, and appease the ego of a man, and nothing else. A woman’s main accomplishment back in the day was to get married and have kids. Most of the opportunities in life were reserved for the men, and due to this a woman was largely constrained financially.

Now coming back to the 90s when I was growing up, due to the very influential campaigns run by feminist and others who believed in the cause, the social consciousness changed a lot. Not only were girls given an opportunity to be educated, it was found that girls could actually compete academically with boys and in some cases be better than them. A woman was given the most important empowerment tools; education and self worth. She grew up hearing and believing the mantra ‘What a man can do, a woman can do better.” She found herself doing very well in class, and sometimes beating the boys to it. She realized that her worth was much more than her child bearing and home keeping abilities. She was told she could achieve anything she wanted, despite her being a female, and she began to dream for more, aspire for more, much more than just being married and bearing children.

Now I realized that the upbringing of the boy child has not gone through any significant changes , at most negligible. Men are still brought up as the head of the house, the provider, the decision maker, the king. In households which have both male and female children, the boys do not help with household chores like cooking, sweeping, washing etc The boy is left playing video games whilst his sisters enjoy the heat from the kitchen. Most mothers often attach accolades to their sons names; making the boy think he is superior to his sisters.

So I ask myself, what happens when you join a woman who has gone through this liberation process to a man who has been brought still holding the archaic mentality of yester years? Certainly a natural disaster!  I find that the most successful and happy marriages are the ones that have men who understand and appreciate the value of a woman. For me, I believe that contrary to what society holds as true, a man has a huge role, if not a huger role to play to ensure the success of a marriage. Unfortunately, till we get to that level of understanding as a society, the entire burden rests on the woman

17 comments:

  1. Try to proof read your work more often. Unsuccessful is the word. I'm not trying to call you out, but I honestly think you should set a standard if you really want to compete with other blogs. Be wary of the things you post too, in regards to when you have visitors or advice column. You want to stay neutral and not biased with the issues you discuss.

    Good luck and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Sometimes I still miss some mistakes until I am called out.

      Delete
  2. Mario;

    You see, in an attempt to figure out what its really about I've gone through this piece for the umpteenth time.

    In as much as I preach gender equality I think this article conveys a peculiar feeling, one that your previous articles have been void of since the advent of this blog.

    There's a lot of argument out there on this issue but I think time has done tremendously well in addressing it. Taking this campaign to the wire could be disastrous. It could elicit strong passions and when the male folks starts to get a feeling of being pushed to the wall(a threat to his naturally perceived supremacy). He'll do the natural adaptive response thing by fighting back.

    You make that dignified place in the kitchen sound a bad idea...how removed from the african tradition just a few months into your new life in the US

    I dunno if its just me being cocky(which I doubt) I think this article is somewhat cold-blooded, lacks your signature happy-confident-africanchic style. Uncharacteristically desperate, maybe the reason for the typos too

    NO HARD FEELINGS PLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is very different from what I usually write about. I only decided to post this, after much thoughts, due to a discussion I had with a friend.
      I certainly do not mean to alienate my male readers, but to have second thoughts about some issues raised here.
      And no, I don't have any problems with women in the kitchen, I only feel its wrong when a woman is made to feel that's her only worth.
      I am still in touch with African culture, in fact that is the only culture I know and understand, but once again I wrote this due to a discussion I had with a friend who happens to be in Africa.
      I really do appreciate your comment and I know you are coming from a good place. Stay Blessed

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, you travel abroad and our men think you expressing yourself means you have forgotten your roots. Being an African women does not mean not having any other aspirations. This is not bashing or feminist thought but some men need to wake up. If not for their mothers who refused to be relegated to the kitchen, they would not have the things they have. More and more, we are seeing lazy men, not taking care of their families. You do not expect women to stand by and sit in the kitchen while her children starve and her husband is living a horrible life. Shout out to men like my husband who take care of their own but times have changed Mario. An African woman is one that is strong, can fend for herself and take care of her home. African men should adjust to the times and join in the kitchen as we are joining the in providing income for the family. Please forgive my rant, I just finished a discussion with a seemingly educated man who said his wife was being too independent after she had lived in the UK for two months (the lady asked to work).

      Delete
  3. am a man and I totally agree with you. As a christain, I believe if Jesus never held his position over the congregation why should men lord theirs over women. The bible entreat men to treat their wives 'as weaker vessels'(it doesn't say women are weaker vessels) jx as Jesus treats the congregatn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You u are so right dear .the earlier men realise they hav a lot to contribute to the improvement of their marriage the better. If not divorce rates is goin to continue to sky rocket

    ReplyDelete
  5. And for the people calling her out I know u people are the usuall men who feel a womans place is in the kitchen. But news flash dat was 20yrs ago . If u hav to live with a woman of dis generation u hav to be willing to bring your best to the table. The era of the man being the lord of the manor is long gone . Once u marry a woman who has her own money it wil be next to impossible to boss her around. And their is noting wrong with the tone of her blog for the guy who said he doesn't like it. She has not changed to become like white women if dat is wat u are sayin. She is just makin her opinion known. If u don't like it get your own blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^^^Thank you very much. I just had the feeling that the 1st two commenters were men with the mentality that marriage is the sole responsibility of the woman.

    What I've learnt from my family while growing up is MEN have a lot to play in the success of marriage. Two people come together to marry, so while should one party shoulder the work alone?

    What I see is EGO, EGO and EGO!!!
    Men are the head, fine; no dispute about that but wanting to control~dominate~superimpose their authority by fire by force while relegating the woman to the background and not respecting her feelings and personality is one of the causes of marital failure for me.

    Husbands LOVE your wife and see her do as you wish but una ego no go let you do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubbynnia, you hit the nail on the head- spot on! I am a man and this is how I feel... Truth is, the man not changing or adapting to the times is a big ego thing. This especially happens when he has been brought up in that wrongful environment that women are seen not heard, that a woman's place is in the kitchen; that she should not have a voice or even an opinion, and if she does, it should not be expressed.

      These same men travel abroad and still have that faulty opinion or mindset living abroad; and they think or expect that they could go home, bring that "African woman" who would fit into their stereotype. And when reverse happens to be the case, he then cannot handle this unexpected outcome, largely because of the same "ego" of his, he's left to do the inevitable, which is go his separate way just because he would rather do so that swallow his ego and do the right thing!

      Delete
  7. Mario;

    Well, as clearly stated in my first comment...a woman ought to be loved and cared for and by extension allowed to drive her own life.

    I just don't think being unnecessarily pushy on this issue would do you so much good. It could rather send the wrong signals, could make the man feel threatened, like he'll be overthrown somewhat.

    By nature a woman is relatively vulnerable, much more than the man...sometimes protecting a woman could cut across as being domineering and abusive.

    Oh yes! I'm a man but I've lived above seeing a woman as less of a human and I'm not faulting the blogger or anything like that. I'm just calling out for caution while advocating gender equality. This is a psychological issue and its been from time immemorial. You won't win by inciting women, but sensitize but sexes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her audience is predominately Africans. African men are past the sensitization phase, y'all just need to get with it. You see posts from male celebs and bloggers, even some women who advocate for the woman to do XYZ for the marriage and relationship to work. Meanwhile, she is not the only one in the relationship. Our men refuse to get this and our marriages are on the rocks because the woman can not do it all. I am not saying all non African men have gotten a hang of this but I must say, your counterparts are getting hip to the marriage is a two way street, this is a new age, times have changed business. We can sit and wish for things to be like days of old but it ain't gon happen. I am glad African women have more of a voice now, our mothers lived in sheer oppression and stayed subservient because they did not want to lose their kids to their abusive husbands and his new wife. The only thing our mothers failed to do was, helping her sons understand that his role is to cherish his wife and family and not wait for her to do everything.

      My prayer is this generation of women will raise strong men who know that protection is not control and abuse, and being a man that can chip in around the home does not make him a wimp. A man that can communicate his grievances using words and not his fist.

      Sir, to cut my story short...when you read articles like this, I think it is right to take a step back and reflect and not do the typical African man thing; trying to shush the woman when she asserts herself, calling it westernized.

      Delete
    2. Tank u nne , I don't no who dis mario guy is but I am begining to feel sorry for who every your wife or gf is. Women are nolonger your play things. Get wit the times or move to jupiter or mars . If you want to live with a 21th century woman u hav to bring your best to the table and for get all this male chauvinism. Learn and tank me letter

      Delete
  8. Mario

    Ok ladies, cease fire!

    I'm not married but I have sisters. A mother too. I live my life for them. I tell them 1 thing and that's to go out there and take their place. But I also let them understand that in as much as they can do as well as the men, they should never challenge them outrightly or settle for the man who plays stooge to please them.
    God created a woman to be by the man and not above him or to be his DEAR adversary•

    When I get married, she'll be the most loved and cared for woman the rest of her life. I would never marry a bossy woman...just be a confident woman.

    My last comment on this issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancient man, abi na cave man I wan call u.
      I pity dat ur future wife.
      It's men like u dat wld raise hell, if u lose ur job n ur wife az to foot d bills.

      Mario; Nkechi, y is dia too much meat in dis soup, ar u try to show off, dat u ar d 1 providing.

      N wen d wife dcides to reduce d meat. Mario is lik

      Nkechi, so is it cos I lost my job, dat's mking u act funny.

      Delete
  9. Kindly display d link to d book. Tanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.healthhouse.co.nz/freestuff/fascinating-womanhood-book-(4mb).pdf
      I found this from Google

      Delete