Friday 4 October 2013

I want it fresh and smelly!!

I am tired of frozen meat! I really do not know what they do to the meat over here. It lacks the authentic meat smell. I could always tell the difference between goat, beef or chicken just by the smell of it. Over here, people do not like appreciate the smell of meat, and I think they put the meat through some processes so that it does not smell. I remember one time, I wanted to make Gizzard sauce, so I went to get some gizzards and if not for the familiar shape of the Gizzard, I would have sworn it was something else. It had no smell whatsoever.

Sometimes when I buy want to buy goat meat, I am given lamp instead. In fact I cant tell the difference initially because well, they all smell bland. Ah, and I also miss the skin of the goat attached  to the meat!. We always get the meat well cleaned and cut into tiny cubes. No skin. No intestine. We (my husband and another couple) thought the answer to this was to go to a farm where they would kill the goat and cut it for us. We had been looking for a farm and the nearest farm was about 3 hours away.So you can imagine how excited we were when we chanced upon a farm that had goats. With the images of fresh and aromatic goat meat in our next soup, we quickly stopped by the farm. We saw a farm girl there and we proceeded to inquire about the goats

'Hi, we want to buy one of the goats over there so you guys can kill it and cut the meat for us"

With a terrified face, the girl replied that

'No no no, you cant kill it, they are our pets. You can only look at them'

We swiftly went back to our car and drove off.

Now one of my husbands friends is married to a white lady. She told me that when she came to Ghana, her husbands family wanted to welcome her by making chicken soup. She said she was shocked when they killed the chicken right in front of her and as a result she just couldn't eat the food presented to her. She told me that the meat was just too fresh for her and there was no way she could have eaten it. It reminded me of how back in Ghana, during festivities( Christmas & Easter), we buy kill some goats and chicken, and proceed to make some meals  with the meat. Such a delicacy it was!

For now, I have to get used to eating frozen meat, because I really do not have any option. It definitely doesn't taste the same as the real deal.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry,
    Remember when I was preg could not swallow the meat here,we bought a goat and had it slaughtered I threw up whenever I smelt it. You can get some one to share with you and go over to the farm,depending on how big your freezer is. I get meat from a Chinese store and its fresh! If u have a cub foods around heard they have all the intestine etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup go to a Chinese grocery store. Fresh meat galore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog!
    No dull moment!
    Read older posts, so interesting!
    Keep it up!
    Please continue to be honest in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo funny!! I would have been so embarassed.

    ReplyDelete