Wednesday 30 October 2013

Ghana is hard!!!


Last week I went for a meeting with the Ghanaian community and I was pleasantly surprised to see a former church member in there. He is based in Ghana and he sometimes comes to the USA for holidays and I was excited to see him because I could catch some Ghana news from him. So after the meeting when we were socializing, I went over to greet and indulge him in a little conversation. I asked him how Ghana was doing and he instantly replied that “eeii Ghana, e no dey bee kraa…..things are very hard now”.
 
In a bid to empathize with him, I told him that things will be better and that it’s the same everywhere including the United States. He instantly disagreed with me, citing a situation where he met a former classmate, who told him he didn't money but was able to give him $100. According to him, if someone claiming he didn't have money was able to give $100 on the spot, then 'good' going things must be happening over here. He proceeded to tell me that he had decided to stay here for some time to hustle. He explained that he had left his transport business to a friend to manage for some time, and that he had decided to stay and work here in the US.

I am talking about a man of over 50 years, with a wife and kids, who has decided to somewhat start life afresh in a foreign land, all because of the economic situation in Ghana.  I wanted to tell him how I didn’t think it was a good idea, but stopped when I saw the resolve in his eyes and voice. He had already made his mind and no amount of convincing from me would make him change his mind.

Now living in the states is not as easy as most think, and paying of bills alone would leave you frustrated. Nothing comes for free over here, and even family members would expect you to contribute to the rent when living with them.  It got me thinking if the situation was so bad in Ghana that someone would consider taking this drastic step. Yes, prices are rising in Ghana, but people should know that the cost of living here is higher. You might get paid a lot over here, but most of the money ends up going into paying for water, electricity, rent, garbage, car, phone bills and so on.

So I would employ anyone who is thinking of moving over to the western countries to hustle to give it a second thought, especially if you are advanced in age, because it is not as rosy as it may seem. 

10 comments:

  1. There are also bills we pay in africa expecially nigeria.your sister/brothers will want this and that, your friendss will want to do weDding and you gat to buy aso-ebi, families will ask for money because most know what you do for a living and they will expect somthing from u.I think if one is in the USA u only tend to fend for yourself and nobody will know what going on with your life.if u are in the US..u can go to school on loan, get a fone on contract, get a car on auction and also peace of mind because nobody care about u.#myownopinion#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Please Mrs X. If u want to discourage people to live in USA, start by convincing your husband to go back in Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I'm not trying to discourage anybody. Just saying it as it is. I believe it's better to make an informed decision when moving here

      Delete
  3. Lol anon18:44...I wonder why every immigrant tries as hard to discourage potential immigrants yet they fear deportation than hell. We africans believe in action so show working

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAC 4 me i tink livin aboard s somehow better & good n all aspects of life....here n africa we suffer n everytin we do stil NO good life, wrk, healthcare road and pls dnt even try 2 bring d "bill" aspect...livin aboard s stil better. .....US here i come

    ReplyDelete
  5. @That Africa Chic, I wonder you don't really enjoy your new life in America. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I went through your blog and got that first impression. Have you ever talked to your husband about relocating, what did he say? Share with us what makes him loves life in America.xoxo Ms Lolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am just finding it difficult to adjust to a new life and culture. Now that I have gotten over the accent shock, I am trying to let go of the stranger feeling I have. I think with time, I would be singing a different tune

      Delete
  6. Honestly,I hate living in d US. I only relocated because my husband is here. If the marriage wasn't new, and distance isn't a factor in d success of a marriage, I would bundle myself back to nigeria and only visit.
    I don't even know where to start careerwise, I hope I don't regret leaving my job back home in d long run.
    Raising kids here is a hassle...I hate repeating myself bc they can't understand my accent,d stranger feeling.
    If u aren't so young, adjusting to life abroad willl b tough, and unless u can get a job in line with your profession or education, u will always feel like 'bottom of d food chain'. Its not a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete