Thursday 10 October 2013

Blog Visitor: My experience at American Education


It had always been my dream to study abroad. I looked at Facebook pictures of some of my friends who lived abroad and I wondered when my own time would come. It’s surprising I felt this way because I had been abroad to visit a number of times. I guess I just felt it would be super cool when I crossed from being the occasional visitor to a more permanent resident. *wink*


My visa interview went surprisingly well and I got my most ‘coveted’ student visa to study in the US. OMG! My dream was indeed about to come true! I couldn’t wait to get to the US and start my Master’s program. I was studying a course I had always loved. It felt like a major adventure in my adult life was about to start.

Fast forward a few weeks in and what I feel now is far from an adventurous feeling… I’m here on my bed, eyes almost falling out of their sockets due to long hours of staring at the computer, completing assignments, writing papers and reading long essays. Sigh!

The first major issue for me was the accent. My accent, no matter how much I tried, just couldn’t sound right. I twisted my tongue, my lips, changed the pitch of my voice, everything! All in the bid to mask my Naija accent but the thing stuck to me like glue. Not like I’m not proud of my own accent, it’s just that I didn’t want to be picked out as new just because I sounded different!

Next stop was school. Being my first time studying outside my country, the experience was really different from what I was used to. I wasn’t used to interacting with my professors freely, being allowed to eat in class in the full glare of my professor whilst he/she is teaching, e.t.c. (I might as well have been swallowing morsels of eba, they do not care!) In Nigeria, our professors were mini gods or so we made them out to be!

The assignments and papers nko? Hmmm! I’m so drowned in assignments and papers these days! Sometimes I just feel like screaming, ditching this whole idea and taking the next flight to Nigeria!

I really could go on and on. But this is a guest post so I shall sign out here and go back to my assignments. (I typed this right in the middle of one).

Asking if I regret coming here? No! I do not.  It’s not all sad tales as there are great lessons to learn studying abroad. Your brain literarily opens up and you feel yourself getting wiser and doing big things you never thought you were capable of doing. The system of learning is more ‘hands on’ as opposed to theoretical and all that cramming!  However I wish someone had warned me of all to expect because the culture shock I experienced…oh dear, I was really unprepared for it.

I look forward to the day I would stop feeling weird and new and just get a full hang of all that is going on around me. I also look forward to my graduation although it’s still at least a solid 15 months from now but a girl is allowed to dream now abi?

 

With bulging eyes, braids and Starbucks coffee,

Kemmy

13 comments:

  1. Mario

    So aunty kemmy what should we do for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy this piece. Studying abroad is no child's play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Kpele Kemi. It will get better. *e hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up....lmao @ being allowed to eat in class....I wonder how it will feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you write the GRE? also want to school in the US...nice article btw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks TAC for featuring this!*wink* Thanks to everyone too for your comments. Yes Anon, i wrote GRE and TOEFL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice write up kemi....pls wots d name of d uni?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa Monica Canada Migration , our expert counselors can identify whether you qualify for Canada migration and along with our Immigration Attorney they assist you in the application formalities.We Santa Monica Canada Migrationhave assisted many candidates in the past those are now enjoying their lives in Canada, having benefited from our expert services..Santa Monica Canada Migration Consultants is the best and top overseas education and Canada Migration Consultancy in Kerala, India.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may be the oldest surviving educational and will celebrate this year. It’s a blog covering resources for the Summer Training Programm,Structural Analysis Course,best robotics training Summer Training Programm

    ReplyDelete

  10. Santa Monica Consultants , gives you assistance in overcoming the hurdles of getting through good job or admission abroad. We help you to get the best opportunities available and guide you at each step to achieve your dream. Our extended services across the globe guarantee you a safe relocation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi this is nik smith I like this type of training and more here
    I think robotics training is best option for great career

    ReplyDelete
  12. Education system in US seems to be so good. you should have preferred some education consultants in Chennai who can guide you in all the way towards the abroad education

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see a flexible education system in the US, plus we all know the kind of opportunities out there are a lot more than what we get here. This is what we strive to bring to students in our country - a wide variety of choice so students can actually pursue what they want to, instead of being pushed around into the limitied academic & career choices.

    ReplyDelete