Wednesday 25 September 2013

What type of person are you?

In every social setting where there are young peers, I have come to realize that there are four types of people; the attackers, the followers, the floaters and the downsiders.
 The attackers are kind of like the leaders and they are the people who have a lot of influence. They may have attained this position due to physical looks, wealth, or their personality. They are very loud, like to enforce their views on others and sometimes they can be very mean. In the high school setting, you would definitely find an attacker in a group of 'mean girls'. Most times they only befriend people they feel are in the same 'class' with. Attackers mostly look down on those they feel do not have their 'pedigree'. I have however, met some attackers who despite the 'status' are generally very nice to people. Most of them however, are only nice because they need something from you.

The followers are the friends of attackers. They are those that would do anything just to be in the company of an attacker. Some people also refer to them as 'ass kissers'. Most times followers move up the social ladder to become attackers themselves. I find that most followers have the same qualities as attackers, but it is to a lesser degree, because they do not have as much influence as the attackers.

Then we have the floaters, these are the people who are mind their own business. They do not rely on any one to get by neither do they have followers who act on their every whimp. They are genuinely nice to people they like and ignore those they don't. They are definitely not the loudest in a group setting, but a floater would stand up for him/herself when the need be

Lastly, there are the downsiders. These are people who are extremely quiet and most times you find them alone. They do not make a lot of friends and they are the best targets for attackers to pick on. Most people would describe a downsider as lacking confidence and being very shy.

I have also realized that most people change their social standing with time. I have seen cases where attackers become floaters/downsiders and downsiders become attackers. Back in secondary school, a lot of the attackers I know are now floaters and sometimes I marvel at the change in their behavior. There are aslo cases where downsiders move on to become attackers. , One of my colleagues from secondary school was a big time attacker, she was very mean to people and she carried herself in such a way that you couldn't even approach her if you weren't friends. In the university there was a drastic change in her. She didn't have her friends anymore and most times she was always by herself. I later found out that her friends deserted her because they realized that she wasn't as rich as she claimed to be

I was a floater and I would always be a floater. I like to live my life my own way and I don't want anybody to have any expectations from me.

Whatever position you find yourself I believe that it wouldn't hurt to treat people with respect.

I also realize that as we grow older, we begin to learn important life lessons, and as such drop some nasty behavior we had as teens or young adults. Some people however never change, until they are dealt with a major life blow.
What group do you find yourself in? have you ever moved from one group to the other?

5 comments:

  1. I am a floater for real! Independent,self-reliant,easy going,reserved,do-my-things-my-way,confident woman. I have some friends but really don't need them. My mum says I m tOo strong and independent for a woman and is always telling me to mellow down. I m also a virgo, and u knw virgo's are the quiet,resilient,strong types. Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am also a floater. #Aries#

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoy bin a floater. Do tins ma own waes. Folow ma hrt. Trust no one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a downsider when in school but nobody bullied me, rather, they left me alone. I later became a floater as i grew out of my teens, i spoke my mind without giving a hoot! As i grew much older, i reverted back to the downsider status. I mind my own business in my corner, unless an attacker provokes me then the floater in me would come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely a floater. Mind my own business...#Aquarius

    ReplyDelete